I have been knitting for at least 5 years now. I have frogged stuff midstream because I didn’t like it. I have had mistakes I needed to correct. I have had items that have gone perfectly. But never have I ever had this many issues in knitting something!

In my effort to make as many Christmas gifts this year, I decided to knit my FIL a scarf. He came to visit last year on a cold day and had a scarf on (store-bought) so I knew he would wear one. I decided to do something with a herringbone pattern. I originally looked at Henry from Knitty.com. I bought the yarn for it (Knitpicks Gloss in Porcini) and printed out the pattern. Then I did a search on Ravelry and found that the idea of knitting it lengthwise was a bit daunting and took a ton of concentration. And I just can’t guarantee that I have the amount of concentration it requires. I decided to switch to another pattern. I found Red Herring from CogKnition and it was perfect! I printed out the copy and finally, last night, decided to cast on.

The pattern calls for using size 6 (US) needles, so I started with that. I knit the first 6 rows and realized something was wrong. Duh. I was using the wrong weight of yarn! I had fingering weight and it called for DK weight! Oops!

So, I cast on using smaller needles. Much better! I got through the first 6 rows (a moss stitch border) and started onto the pattern. It was fairly easy to follow and the 4 row repeat was easy to memorize. I got through the first repeat and thought I was on my way – until I realized I had 50 stitches. It called for 49 and, since it was a 7 row repeat, that extra one stitch was not a good thing. I frogged it again.

I reknit, this time double checking my numbers. Of course, it was 1 AM and I was exhausted, so I should have probably put it down, but I kept plodding along. Until I realized I had 4 stitches left and I needed 7 for the repeat. So I tinked back and figured out where I went wrong. Then did it again two rows later when I did the same thing.

I finally decided to walk away. I picked it up again this evening, thinking that I was finally awake enough to count properly. I got through 3 repeats of the pattern, but it didn’t look like it was forming a herringbone pattern. I just didn’t get it. So, I decided to look at Ravelry to see if I could find another herringbone pattern to see what was happening. I found at least 2 other methods of forming the herringbone pattern. And then I clicked on a link that took me to the Red Herring scarf pattern. And then I saw the note:

09/23/2008: I seem to have overridden the corrected version of the pattern by accident during an update. If you downloaded this pattern between 07/11/2008 and now, please download and use this version instead.

I couldn’t remember when I downloaded or printed the pattern so I decided to check it out. And sure enough, I must have had the wrong version. All of that knitting was incorrect. So, tonight, I frogged it – again!

Thankfully, fourth time seems to be the charm. Tonight’s knitting seemed to produce something that at least resembles herringbone pattern in the few inches I have finished. I will wait another inch or two to see if it really looks correct, though. It seems to be a fairly fast knit, even on fingering weight yarn, so hopefully the rest of it won’t be nearly as painless as getting this scarf started!

I never imagined a scarf of all things would give me so many problems!

Advertisements