More often than not, I blog about finished objects that I am proud of and that look decent. Sure, there may be small errors, but as long as they are not glaringly obvious, I leave them alone. And most of the time, with a few small mistakes, I don’t have many issues with the projects I start. And then, you have days like Monday.
Monday night I was in a very creative mood, but didn’t have anything specific going, so I decided to start a new project. My cousin is pregnant and due in September, so I decided I would make something as part of her shower gift. I have some patterns for baby shoes saved, so I decided to go that route. Only my printer wouldn’t work. I found out tonight my dear husband had unplugged it! So, I traced the pattern off the computer screen. Whatever works, right? I found cute material (in keeping with my general plan not to buy more fabric, I used some pieces of flannel originally cut to make diapers – until my son decided to potty train suddenly!) I started sewing. I loved the first one (although I do think it looks too big to fit a 0-6 month baby!) So, I moved on to the second. Got it finished and laid them next to each other to compare.
Not the best picture, but do you see what happened there? Here, how about a second look.
Ah! Now you see it, don’t you? Yep, I sewed one sole on upside down! Crap! I have started ripping it apart, but it is still so darn discouraging. I ended up putting the project down for later.
I decided that I would then attempt to make slippers for my son. How hard could that be? I had a pattern saved for the basic design, but they were also sized for 0-6 months. I was also afraid that they would be way too wide if I upsized them from the original pattern, especially since my kids have long, skinny feet. So, I sorta drafted my own pattern.
This was a complete disaster! They didn’t fit at all, the sewing was terrible and, well, a second slipper wasn’t even attempted.
So, I finally moved on. I have been thinking about trying crochet again. I have this orange bulky weight yarn in my stash that I thought would make a perfect blanket for my daughter’s dolls. But I HATE knitting blankets. Too boring! But I could crochet one quickly. So, I got out the yarn, pulled out a crochet hook, and started doing what I remembered to be crochet. After getting out a crochet instruction book I owned, I realized what I was doing was not crochet, or at least not what they described in the book, but that didn’t stop me. I liked the fabric, so why change? It wasn’t something to be judged or anything! I got through a whole skein in one evening, then looked at the piece. Uh, I think I somehow lost some stitches. It was turning into a triangle instead of the rectangle I intended! I frogged it and started over. The second attempt was better, but still not great.
No, that isn’t a trick of the eye or due to perspective. It really does get skinnier the further I went. Ugh.
So, at that point I put it down and picked up something I KNEW I could do – knitting a pair of socks. Thankfully, they are turning out well. I won’t let my disasters get me down. I learn something from all of them. Plus, I still have my successes behind me to bolster my confidence. And I plan to be back soon to post some of those!