The Scarf That Didn’t Want To Be

Leave a comment

I have been knitting for at least 5 years now. I have frogged stuff midstream because I didn’t like it. I have had mistakes I needed to correct. I have had items that have gone perfectly. But never have I ever had this many issues in knitting something!

In my effort to make as many Christmas gifts this year, I decided to knit my FIL a scarf. He came to visit last year on a cold day and had a scarf on (store-bought) so I knew he would wear one. I decided to do something with a herringbone pattern. I originally looked at Henry from I bought the yarn for it (Knitpicks Gloss in Porcini) and printed out the pattern. Then I did a search on Ravelry and found that the idea of knitting it lengthwise was a bit daunting and took a ton of concentration. And I just can’t guarantee that I have the amount of concentration it requires. I decided to switch to another pattern. I found Red Herring from CogKnition and it was perfect! I printed out the copy and finally, last night, decided to cast on.

The pattern calls for using size 6 (US) needles, so I started with that. I knit the first 6 rows and realized something was wrong. Duh. I was using the wrong weight of yarn! I had fingering weight and it called for DK weight! Oops!

So, I cast on using smaller needles. Much better! I got through the first 6 rows (a moss stitch border) and started onto the pattern. It was fairly easy to follow and the 4 row repeat was easy to memorize. I got through the first repeat and thought I was on my way – until I realized I had 50 stitches. It called for 49 and, since it was a 7 row repeat, that extra one stitch was not a good thing. I frogged it again.

I reknit, this time double checking my numbers. Of course, it was 1 AM and I was exhausted, so I should have probably put it down, but I kept plodding along. Until I realized I had 4 stitches left and I needed 7 for the repeat. So I tinked back and figured out where I went wrong. Then did it again two rows later when I did the same thing.

I finally decided to walk away. I picked it up again this evening, thinking that I was finally awake enough to count properly. I got through 3 repeats of the pattern, but it didn’t look like it was forming a herringbone pattern. I just didn’t get it. So, I decided to look at Ravelry to see if I could find another herringbone pattern to see what was happening. I found at least 2 other methods of forming the herringbone pattern. And then I clicked on a link that took me to the Red Herring scarf pattern. And then I saw the note:

09/23/2008: I seem to have overridden the corrected version of the pattern by accident during an update. If you downloaded this pattern between 07/11/2008 and now, please download and use this version instead.

I couldn’t remember when I downloaded or printed the pattern so I decided to check it out. And sure enough, I must have had the wrong version. All of that knitting was incorrect. So, tonight, I frogged it – again!

Thankfully, fourth time seems to be the charm. Tonight’s knitting seemed to produce something that at least resembles herringbone pattern in the few inches I have finished. I will wait another inch or two to see if it really looks correct, though. It seems to be a fairly fast knit, even on fingering weight yarn, so hopefully the rest of it won’t be nearly as painless as getting this scarf started!

I never imagined a scarf of all things would give me so many problems!


A wing and a prayer!


I have finally finished my mom’s Christmas wrap!!! I am so relieved and excited to have it done this early. I was seriously dreading even starting it, thinking it would be the only project I would work on for Christmas and every thing else I had planned wouldn’t get done. It was lace and I am not a huge lace fan. But thankfully, out of the 4 patterns I was considering, it seems I picked the simplest and it was done in a flash! It is blocking now, so pictures will be forthcoming.

Since I finished the wrap, I decided to move forward. I had set my Susie Hoodie aside to work on the wrap. It is finally starting to cool off here and I am finally able to even think about knitting with that large pile of wool in my lap again. So, I picked it up two days ago. I just finished the hood increases. I now have 10″ of solid, straight knitting to go (stockinette, thankfully with a cable on each end to save my sanity!) and then the decreases, and it will be finished.

But I am running into a problem. My yarn ball is getting smaller and smaller with every row. It is looking woefully small, in fact. I am quite concerned that I won’t be able to finish the hood with the remaining yarn. I can shorten the hood slightly – I never plan to actually wear it, so a slightly short hood won’t be a huge deal – but I am worried that even that won’t work. I thought I had a small skein left of the yarn (it was a cone of yarn that I wound into skeins) but it appears I have already used that up. The place I bought it – Webs – no longer has it in stock because I bought it as a closeout. I see several people on Ravelry that have it in their stashes, but none have it for sale. My other option would be to contact the three or four people that have used the yarn and completed projects to see if they have any remnants they would be willing to sell me. I run the huge risk of getting a totally different dye lot, and that could be a noticable problem, but not finishing a cable repeat because of not having the yarn would also be a huge problem! I have a swatch somewhere that I can also possible frog, if I can locate it, so I must locate that. Otherwise, I am knitting on a wing and a prayer! Stay tuned to see how this turns out!